Thousands of families can get £150 in supermarket vouchers and £60 towards kid’s clothing this winter – how to apply

    HARD-UP Brits can access extra help that could give them cash for food and clothes this winter.

    Supermarket vouchers worth up to £150 are being dished out to struggling households.


    Families struggling with bills can get extra help this winter[/caption]

    An allowance worth up to £60 for buying children’s clothes is also available through the Household Support Fund.

    The cash for hard-up households comes as millions of families face higher and living costs.

    Energy bills have jumped by hundreds of pounds and the cost of a food shop is expected to be £180 a year more.

    The pot of cash is worth £500million in total and has been dished out by the government to local councils to give to struggling Brits for bills and other costs.

    It’s up to each area how much individuals can get and what the money is for.

    East Riding in Yorkshire is the latest local authority to reveal what help will be available to thousands of people living in the area.

    Most read in Money


    Furlough could RETURN and businesses may get extra funding


    I can’t afford nappies or food for my baby so rely on Buy Now Pay Later


    One million families to lose thousands in child benefit next year


    Chocolates in my Cadbury advent calendar are smaller than my daughter’s toe


    Thousands of households could get £100 FREE cash before Xmas – how to claim


    2 EuroMillions winners have just DAYS to claim £1m jackpot – or lose it

    Anyone struggling can get £30 towards food per person, up to £150 per household, and a children’s clothing allowance of £20 per child, up to £60 per household.

    The fund is also giving £75 per household to cover fuel costs.

    The exact amount you can get depends on your circumstances and you’ll need to apply to the council directly.

    You need to apply by December 24 and you’ll get the money in two payments – one when your application is successful and the next in January or February.

    To be entitled to the help you’ll need to be getting one of the following benefits:

    • council tax support
    • heat and water element of an adult care package
    • Universal Credit and lost the £20-a-week uplift
    • Universal Credit and have limited capacity to work
    • eligible for school meals

    You’ll also need to be a resident in East Riding to get this specific help – but wherever you live your local council will have money to hand out.

    In Manchester for example there’s a one-off cash grant worth up to £100 up for grabs.

    Meanwhile Spelthorne council is offering up to £80 to residents in the Surrey district, and in West Northamptonshire there’s up to £120 to heat your home.

    You can find your local council using this tool and searching you postcode. to see what help is available near to you.

    It’s worth checking sooner rather than later as there area deadlines for applying and some are coming up soon.

    If information about the scheme is not yet listed on your local authority’s website, you can call or email for more information.

    The amount available, eligibility, and how you apply will vary between locations.

    Last year cash was given out through the Winter Covid Support Grant in the same way.

    If you’re not eligible for the extra cash offered by your local authority, you could still get help other ways.

    Here’s what you could get to help you pay council tax, energy, water bills and more.

    We pay for your stories!

    Do you have a story for The Sun Money team?

    Email us at

    This content was originally published here.

    Latest articles


    Related articles

    Leave a reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here