DWP to give Winter Fuel Payment this month – see how to claim and what you get – Birmingham Live

    Millions of people are to find a one-off cash boost of up to £300 dropping automatically into their bank accounts this month.

    Pensioners and benefit claimants will receive the money, with amounts depending on specific circumstances.

    It will come as a welcome extra to those who have newly claimed Universal Credit this year, though they won’t get it automatically.

    The Department for Work and Pensions said 11.4 million people received Winter Fuel Payment in winter 2019/2020.

    It has detailed how much people will receive in this year’s payment, who is eligible, who gets it automatically, and who has to put in a claim.

    As household gas and electricity bills go up because of rising energy prices and increased usage over the winter months, we are all looking at ways to cut costs. So it’s good to know who can get a Winter Fuel Payment and how much.

    In order to qualify for this year’s Winter Fuel Payment, you must have been born on or before September 26, 1955, and have lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of September 20 to 26, 2021 – this is called the qualifying week.

    Those who were not in the UK during that qualifying week may still be eligible if they live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country; or have a “genuine and sufficient link to the UK” – this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK.

    How much you will get

    Winter Fuel Payments are normally made in November and December. You should have had your money by January 14, 2022.

    These are the criteria that determine how much Winter Fuel Payment you receive.

    Your payment may be different if you get one of these four benefits: Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) – we’ve listed those figures below too.

    1. You qualify and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)

    2. You qualify and live with someone under 80 who also qualifies

    3. You qualify and live with someone 80 or over who also qualifies

    4. You qualify, live in a care home and do not get certain benefits

    5. You qualify, get one of the four benefits and live alone (or none of the people you live with qualify)

    6. You qualify and live with someone who also gets one of the four benefits

    READ MORE:All the free stuff you can get on Universal Credit – 27 money-saving tips

    Those who live in a care home aren’t eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment. The money is paid automatically to people who receive the State Pension or one of the four Government payments listed above.

    Others may have to manually put in a claim by contacting the Winter Fuel Payment Centre on 0800 731 0160.

    You only need to claim if any of the following apply:

    If you have had a Winter Fuel Payment before, you only need to claim if you have subsequently deferred your State Pension, or moved to Switzerland or an EEA country.

    Winter Fuel Payments are separate to the Cold Weather Payment and Warm Home Discount schemes.

    Get all the latest benefits, money and politics news in our daily newsletters delivered straight to your inbox with our free daily newsletters.

    This content was originally published here.

    Latest articles


    Related articles

    Leave a reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here